If you have been injured in an accident, you may have damages that have cost you out of pocket. They might include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damages. All of these losses can have a significant impact on your financial well-being.
Medical bills can add up fast, and if you have serious injuries, you might need ongoing care or suffer from long-term disabilities as a result of the accident. A personal injury claim will help you recoup your losses and request compensation for the damages that you suffered as a result of the accident. A detrimental part of a personal injury claim is determining who is at fault or liable for the injuries that were incurred in the accident. In some accidents, this can be much easier to prove than in others.
The Personal Injury Claims Process
Personal injury claims, however, can be complicated. Insurance companies are in business to make money, so they may not offer you the payout you deserve up front. Instead, they will offer you a much lower amount that you are entitled to in order to get you to settle. There are several things that you can do to strengthen your personal injury claim:
- Keep all medical records and medical bills.
- Document any time you miss work because of the injuries.
- Get written estimates for any property damages you incurred as a result of the crash.
Top Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
There are some accidents that are worse than others, and there are some accidents that will require a personal injury attorney much more quickly than others. Here are the main reasons you should consider consulting with a personal injury attorney:
- Long-term injuries or injuries can lead to permanent disabilities. If your physical abilities or appearance will be impacted for a year or longer, you need to get help to get the maximum results from your claim. It's very hard to calculate the value of lost wages or pain and suffering without a personal injury attorney.
- It can be challenging to negotiate with insurance companies alone. They may want to settle for less than the full value of your personal injury claim, and a PI attorney will know how much your complete claim is truly worth. This allows you to "call out" a bad offer.
- A personal injury attorney is paid on a contingency basis. This means that if your claim isn't won, you won't have to pay your attorney.
- Defense in court. An attorney will know how to plea your case to a judge and get you the benefits you need after an injury.
Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney
Because of the complexity of a personal injury claim, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. An attorney will investigate the accident to determine why it happened and will add up your damages to determine a fair settlement amount. An attorney shows the insurance company that you mean business, and will clearly make them understand that you aren't settling for less than you deserve.
Using a personal injury attorney will increase your chances of getting a settlement for the amount you deserve. There is nothing to lose and no upfront expense for consulting with a personal injury attorney today.