You are here

Do You Need An Attorney To Sue The City Of Jacksonville?*

Jacksonville is a large city in northeastern Florida where the Atlantic Ocean and the St. John’s River meet. It is a regional business center with many cultural offerings and museums. The nearby barrier island beaches, including Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach, are popular spots for surfing and swimming. There are several championship golf courses in the area. With an area of 875 miles, Jacksonville is the fourth most populous urbanized city in the state of Florida with a population of 1.345 million people.

What Kinds Of Damages Might Be Suffered In An Accident Caused By The City Of Jacksonville?

Government entities are protected bodies, so they cannot be sued. But, because of the Florida Tort Claims Act, you can pursue a personal injury claim against Florida city’s such as Jacksonville in specific situations. If you suffered a loss that you believe the city is liable for, you will make a claim through the city’s general liability policy. You will need to send a required notice of your intent to pursue a claim with the city. They have six months to respond to your notice. Unless they deny your claim before the six months is up, you cannot pursue a personal injury claim until the six months pass. The lawsuit must be filed within six months of the accident. There are limits regarding how much you can recover, which are $200,000 maximum and possibly $100,000 more if you have dependents.

Here are some of the damages you can pursue through a personal injury claim against Jacksonville:

  • Medical expenses – both past and future
  • Mental anguish
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Property damages
  • Loss of earnings – both past and future
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium


Pursuing A Personal Injury Claim Against The City Of Jacksonville

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the City of Jacksonville is more challenging than a claim filed against an individual for your injuries and damages. You should consult with a personal injury attorney to ensure the proper protocol are followed. Failure to meet the deadlines or file the right paperwork will result in your claim being dismissed or denied. You don’t want to lose access to the compensation you could receive during such a challenging time.

Consult With A Personal Injury Attorney

If you suffered injuries because of the City of Jacksonville’s negligence, consult with a personal injury attorney today. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form today so an attorney in the area surrounding Jacksonville, Florida can review the details of your case and determine how to proceed. Don’t wait until it is too late.

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the city of Jacksonville, or the state government of Florida or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources

Call Now For a Free Case Evaluation: 844-650-3888