When a motorcycle is out on the road, larger vehicles can be very dangerous. If you are on your bike and you are involved in an accident with a semi-truck, you can face serious damages and major injuries.
You might be eligible to file a personal injury claim against the semi-truck company and driver so you can recover compensation for your losses. Common damages include medical expenses, property damages, pain and suffering, permanent disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Injuries You Might Suffer in an Accident With a Semi-Truck
If your motorcycle is struck by a semi-truck, it can have life-altering consequences. Because of the mammoth size of a semi, you can be killed or suffer life-threatening injuries. Here are a few of the injuries that might result from an accident with a semi-truck.
- Traumatic brain injury - Suffering a serious blow to the head, even if you are wearing a helmet, can cause serious damage to your skull and your brain. This can result in mood changes, the inability to work or perform daily tasks, and might even require a lifetime of around the clock care.
- Paralysis - Being thrown from your bike or hit by a semi can lead to serious spinal injuries. This might even include paralysis and result in permanent disabilities.
- Broken femur - Suffering from broken bones can be very painful and lead to a long recovery process that involves physical therapy and sometimes even surgery. A broken femur is a serious broken leg that will involve the need for extensive medical care.
- Third-degree road rash - Third-degree road rash comes from the skin coming into contact with the road after a crash. When you slide on the pavement, your skin will suffer serious injuries.
Any medical expenses can be included as part of your personal injury claim.
Damage To Your Motorcycle
If you have been involved in an accident with a semi, odds are that your bike is going to have suffered some serious damages. Here are just a few of the different damages that could result in such a crash.
- Total Loss - The damage might be so severe that your bike cannot be repaired. In this case, you will have to get a new bike to replace the one destroyed in the crash.
- Engine Damage - Your bike's engine could be damaged or even destroyed in the impact or when the bike overturns. Replacing or repairing an engine can be expensive.
- Body Damage - The crash will cause some kind of body damage. This might include dented fenders, a damaged gas tank, bent handlebars or other damages.
You should keep any receipts or estimates for repairing your bike and include that as the personal property portion of your personal injury claim. Find out how to file a personal injury claim here.
Getting Help Today
If you have suffered injuries or damages as a result of a motorcycle accident with semi-truck, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer who has experience working with motorcycle accident injury claims.
Your personal injury attorney is paid on a contingency basis and will not be paid until you get a judgment or settlement for your damages. Talk to a personal injury attorney today.