If you return to your vehicle to find slashed tires, you are most likely going to be upset and stressed. Tires are expensive. And of course, you cannot go anywhere with slashed tires. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your slashed tires, you might be able to pursue a claim for damages and recover compensation to pay for your tires.
If you can prove who caused the tire damage, or if the parking lot or property owner was lax in security, one of those parties might be held liable. You will need to enlist the help of a personal injury attorney to pursue a claim for slashed tires.
What to Do at The Scene of Slashed Tires
If you have returned to find slashed tires, you will need to do a few things to protect your rights.
- First, be sure to call the police. You will want an incident report completed by an officer. The officer will also review the details surrounding the slashed tires and will investigate. The incident might have been caught on surveillance video.
- Take photos of the scene of the incident. This might be able to provide additional information for the investigation. Get photos from a distance and up close as well.
- Call a tow truck. You will want to make sure your car is properly towed, so no other damage results. Get a copy of the tow bill, so you can claim that expense as well.
What to Do After Discovering Slashed Tires
If you have discovered slashed tires on your vehicle, there are a few things that you need to do to protect your rights and to help you get the cost of the tires reimbursed.
- Call your insurance company. Let them know what happened.
- Get a copy of the accident report. You need a copy for your records and one for your insurance company. Your insurance company will also investigate the incident.
- Get a written estimate for replacing the tires. You might want to check with more than one tire dealer. You will most likely need new valve stems and the tires will need to be mounted and balanced.
- Get your tires replaced, so you can use your vehicle. Keep the receipt for the new tires.
Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have returned to your vehicle to find slashed tires, you will need to consult with a personal injury attorney. A lawyer will review the details of your case and investigate, determining who to hold responsible for the damages that you suffered in the incident. Your accident injury attorney will determine who is liable for the damages that you suffered in the act of vandalism and will ask them to cover the costs you suffered because of your tires being slashed.
With the help of a lawyer, you are much more likely to recover the compensation you will need to cover your costs after suffering major property damage. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today, so you can have your case reviewed by an attorney in your area.