What To Do If Hit By A Chicago Police Car

If you have been hit by a police car and you have suffered damages and injuries, you may be able to recoup your losses by pursuing a claim against the City of Chicago or any other city.

How To File A Claim For An Accident With A Police Car

Government entities are protected by sovereign immunity, but thanks to special policies and agreements, there are situations in which an individual can pursue a claim against a government body, including the City of Chicago, if they have suffered losses because of the negligence of the city or its employees. You have a limited time to file a claim against city, and you must follow specific procedures to have your claim considered.

You must file a notice of claim with the city to let them know you are holding them liable and you are seeking damages for the incident. This notice of claim must be filed within a year of the accident, explain the details, and be accompanied by supporting documentation and evidence. You will wait for a response. If the city denies or your claim, or if they don’t respond at all, you will want to pursue a lawsuit against the city with the help of a personal injury lawyer.

How To Prove The Police Car Was At Fault

You will need to gather supporting evidence and documentation for your claim against the city. You will need the accident report, photos of the accident scene and damages, repair estimates, medical bills, medical records, witness statements, and anything else that can support your claim and help prove liability. You will need to prove that the city or its employee was negligent and bring into play all four elements of negligence as they apply to your accident.

When you can show that the city was at fault and the driver of the police car was to blame for the crash, you are much more likely to have a successful claim and recoup compensation for your damages. You will want a personal injury lawyer to represent you because the claims process is complex, especially when you are seeking damages from a governmental agency.

Get Help When Filing A Claim Against a City

The process involved with filing a claim is complex, and if you miss deadlines or fail to properly complete paperwork, you could lose your chance to recover compensation for your damages. You should enlist the help of a personal injury lawyer. Personal injury attorneys take cases on a contingency basis, so that means that you will not have to pay anything out of pocket. Instead, your lawyer is paid when you win your claim. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today.

Additional Resources

Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not
be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the city of Chicago, or the state
government of Illinois, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.