What to Do if You are Hit by a Philadelphia City Police Car

An accident with a city police car is always a distinct possibility. If you have been involved in an accident with a city police car and you believe that the officer driving the car was acting in a negligent manner, you have the right to file a claim against the city.

Filing a claim against any city department is not an easy process and can take more persistence than dealing with a private individual. It’s not impossible, though. You should make things easier by asking a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the claim process.

How to File a Claim for an Accident With a City Police Car

Philadelphia, like other cities across the U.S., uses the concept of ‘sovereign immunity’ to limit the number of potential civil claims against it. However, when there is proof that a city employee was negligent, such as driving dangerously, driving while drunk, etc., then it is acceptable to file a claim with the city department involved. Normally, an initial ‘notice of claim’ is filed with the city’s police department. Details of the accident together with a reason why you blame the police officer driving the car that hit you should be submitted. The time frame you have available is 6 months from the date of the accident.

If you don’t get a response, or you claim is rejected, you still have the option of filing a personal injury claim against the department.

How to Prove that a City Police Car Was at Fault

You do need proof that your injuries and any damage to your vehicle were caused by negligent behavior. You will need to begin by gathering common evidence in a personal injury claim. These include:

  • statements made by any eye-witnesses who saw the accident occur;
  • video footage recorded by any nearby security or traffic monitoring camera;
  • photos or at least sketches showing the positions of the two vehicles after the crash as well as damage done;
  • repair yard report of damage done to your vehicle. This can often show that the accident must have been done by the other vehicle.

Get Help When Filing a Claim Against A City

Obtaining compensation from any city government department can be tricky at the best of times, but winning a compensation claim against the city police department is more difficult still. You are advised to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer before filing a claim.

You are welcome to complete the free case evaluation form to ensure your claim is on the right track.

Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the City of Philadelphia, the state Government of Pennsylvania, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.