We hope you find this information helpful!

If you need help with your personal injury case, click here.

Filing a Personal Injury Claim Against Charlotte*

It’s no joke ending up in hospital after a crash with a city bus in which you came off second best. One of the worst aspects of an injury caused by a negligent city employee is that it can be difficult to claim the compensation you need to pay bills that you really shouldn’t have to pay, let alone help compensate for lost earnings.

If you have been injured by any form of government property the good news is that it is possible to make a claim for compensation, as long as you stick to the state or city government’s rules on civil claims against them for negligence. Talk to a personal injury attorney before staring a claim.

City and State Laws Regarding Government Personal Injury Claims

Both the city and state government allow you to submit a “Notice of Claim” if you believe that an injury you have sustained in an accident was caused by negligence by a city or state employee or agency. The notice of claim is basically an advisory statement to the relevant government department that a claim for damages is being considered.

Most cities, including Charlotte, have their own individual website which you can use to inform yourself of the rules concerning claims, forms and details of who to send the claim to.

If you have had a car accident and a government owned or leased vehicle was at fault, then there is a separate claim form you should fill in on the website. There are other forms if you have been injured in other ways.

There are strict time limits imposed on making the initial notice of claim. Like any other personal injury claim, the more relevant evidence you can supply with your claim form the better. Useful evidence includes anything that demonstrates just how the accident happened, what your injuries were, why you think the government employee or other agent was negligent and how much you are claiming.

If you believe that you or your property has suffered damage due to negligence by the city, you should seek help from a personal injury attorney in order to file you Notice of Claim. Although you may think this is as simple as filling out paperwork and sending it in, it’s not quite that easy. You must provide very specific documentation.

Potential Car Accident Scenarios Which Could Involve Government Property

There are a number of potential accident scenarios involving government property, but if you have had a car crash, the causes are more limited. The most common scenarios that you could be involved in are an accident with some form of government owned or licensed vehicle or because your vehicle has been damaged and you have been injured because of a failure in the condition of part of the city’s road or highway system. This could be the condition of the road itself, cracks or potholes that have not been adequately repaired, or the collapse of part of the structure of a bridge or other supporting structure.

Accidents Involving City Bus Service

As the state’s contributory negligence rules make it virtually impossible to make a claim against the bus company if there is any suggestion you were partially at fault yourself, it is vital that you can present justification for blaming a bus driver or the bus company itself for the accident which you were involved in.

Most bus accidents will be due to a defined cause, such as fatigue, inadequate training, intoxication, distracted driving, poor bus maintenance or incorrect or defective spare parts.

An Attorney May Be Able to Pursue Your Claim Against a Government Entity

It is inadvisable to file a claim against any government entity, including the busses, unless you have the backing of an experienced personal injury attorney.


The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the city of Charlotte or the state government of North Carolina, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Do You Need Help Getting Justice In Your State?

Find out more below.

  • Arkansas    
  • California    
  • Connecticut    
  • Florida    
  • Georgia    
  • Idaho    
  • Indiana
  • Louisiana    
  • Maryland    
  • Massachusetts   
  • Michigan   
  • Missouri    
  • Montana    
  • Nevada    
  • New Hampshire    
  • New Jersey    
  • New Mexico    
  • New York    
  • South Carolina    
  • Texas    
  • Utah    
  • Virginia    
  • West Virginia    
  • Wisconsin    
  • Wyoming