Have you been injured in a slip and fall accident at a grocery store? If the accident could have been avoided by store employees or management, then you may have grounds to claim compensation from Kroger, or any other grocery store.
Personal injury claims depend on proving who was at fault, i.e. whether negligence on the part of Kroger’s employees was the direct cause of your injury. Store owners have a responsibility to make sure that their stores are safe.
If you cannot dispute fault then it will be difficult to win hour claim. If it can be shown that the hazard could have been avoided or dealt with before it caused an accident then you may have a chance at winning your claim.
How to Show That Department Store Negligence Caused a Slip and Fall
Negligence may be the direct cause of a slip and fall injury if it can be shown that:
- your injury was caused by something dangerous in the store like spilled liquids or wet floor surfaces;
- the hazard, whatever it was, could have been avoided if the store management had done routine maintenance or kept a look out for potential dangers to the public;
- the hazard was known about and
- nothing was done about it or
- a warning or some sort of barrier was not put in place to keep customers from potential harm
Evidence to Show a Slip and Fall was a Department Store’s Fault
Useful evidence to show that Kroger, or its employees, were at fault could include any or all of the following:
- photographic evidence at the place where the accident took place. This can show the actual cause and whether there was any warning posted there by staff or not.
- Video footage recorded by a security camera positioned nearby. This is a bit of a long shot, but if there was a handy camera recording it might provide confirmation of the actual accident and the timing of when the hazard was created.
- Eye witnesses may be happy to make a statement or be contacted later about what they saw and whether they had noticed the hazard existing without any attempt at removing it before the accident.
Get Help Proving Fault
Large corporations like Kroger or any other grocery store may have insurance in case they are sued for negligence but their insurers are never keen to part with compensation payments. It is sensible to talk to a personal injury lawyer about your case before filing a PI case.
The lawyer can help you obtain suitable evidence and prepare and submit your claim. Get a Free Case Evaluation to get in touch with a PI lawyer who can help prove Kroger, or any other grocery store, was at fault for your slip and fall.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Kroger, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.