Underinsured Motorcyclist Hit My Car

If you were driving down the road and a motorcyclist hit your car, you would assume the at-fault cyclist’s insurance coverage would be adequate for covering your damages. However, that is not necessarily the case. If the biker has the minimum coverage required by state laws and you suffer extensive damages and serious injuries, it could easily exceed the limits of your insurance policy. If that is the case, you will have to turn to your own auto insurance – specifically your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage – to take up the slack and to cover the rest of your damages.

How Insurance Works

Different states have different insurance requirements. In most states, a motorcyclist is required to have $25,000 of bodily injury protection per person up to $50,000 per accident. That coverage usually includes $10,000 in property damage protection. If the crash causes serious injuries, or results in major property damages, then the limits of the motorcycle insurance coverage could be exceeded. As an example, if a motorcycle runs a stop sign and T-bones your convertible in the driver’s side door, it could lead to serious injuries for you and your passenger.

You could suffer neck and back injuries that require extensive treatment and require months off work. That would easily exceed the $50,000 limits of your policy. The impact of the motorcycle in the door and side of your convertible could lead to frame damage and might even result in your car being deemed a total loss. Your car could easily exceed $10,000 in damages. When your damages exceed the policy limits, you will need to file a claim with your own underinsured motorist coverage.

What To Do After An Accident

If you are hit by an underinsured motorcyclist, you should call the police and make sure an accident report is filed. You will need to maintain thorough documentation to support your claim and to show which damages you suffered. Ask any witnesses to provide written statements regarding what they saw. If you are physically able, get photos of the accident scene. Be sure to keep any receipts and estimates, such as tow bills, rental car receipts, damage repair estimates, medical bills, and medical records.

 Underinsured Motorcyclist Hit My Car

Consult With A Personal Injury Attorney

If an underinsured motorcyclist hit your car, you should enlist the help of a personal injury attorney who is licensed in your state. With the help of a lawyer, you are much more likely to recover compensation for your damages through a personal injury claim. You will not have to pay anything upfront when you enlist the help of a lawyer. Instead, your personal injury attorney will work on a contingency basis, which means your lawyer will not be paid until you recover compensation for your damages through a judgment or a settlement. Every state has a statute of limitations – or a time limit – for pursuing a personal injury claim after an accident. Don’t wait until it is too late to recover damages. Schedule your free case review today.

Additional Resources: