Someone Threw a Rock at My Car and Hit It. Can I File a Claim?

If someone was so mad at you that they threw a rock at your car and damaged it you can file a personal injury claim to cover the cost of repairing your car. Even a small rock can do a significant amount of damage to your car if it’s thrown hard enough and that damage can cost a lot to fix. If the rock causes a chip in the windshield that can turn into a crack that means you need to replace the entire windshield.

Try not to make anyone so angry that they want to throw a rock at your car. But if someone does throw a rock at your car and damage it talk to a personal injury attorney right away to find out how to file a personal injury claim and get the money you need to get your car fixed.

We have asked attorney Alaina Sullivan about this type of situation. Here is what she had to say:

What Should You Do if Someone Threw a Rock At Your Car While Driving?

If someone threw a rock at your car while driving, you should stop driving immediately and pull over to assess the damage to your car. It is always illegal to throw a rock at someone’s car while they’re on the road.

If the individual is still at the scene of the crime—do not approach the vandal. Be sure to call law enforcement to the scene as soon as possible. The person who threw a rock at your car could be liable for the damages to your car.

Someone Threw a Rock at My Car and Hit Me. Can I File a Claim?

Defining Vandalism

Vandalism can include many different things. Any time something is done to a car with the purpose of causing damage, you have vandalism. More common types can include keying a car, slashing someone’s tires, and more.

Vandalism is causing a crime because of the nature of the act and the consequences that are associated with it.

The damages from acts of vandalism tend to be high, and they are normally covered by the victim unless the person causing the damages can easily be found and held liable for his or her actions.

Comprehensive Car Insurance

The state minimum car insurance normally only covers damages that involve your car hitting another car. The coverage will compensate the other driver for damages sustained because of you, and many policies will also cover damage to your own car, as well, even if you are at fault.

Comprehensive insurance covers damages from all types of non-accident causes, including:

  • Weather damage
  • Theft
  • Animals
  • Vandalism

Comprehensive car insurance is a separate policy added on to the basic coverage. It is important you know what types of coverage you have.

While liability and collision do cover a lot of damage, comprehensive gives the driver true full coverage. This means that in incidents such as someone throwing a stone at your car and causing significant damage, you will be able to repair what happened and fix your car fully.

Paying the Deductible First

However, no matter how much insurance coverage you have, you will still need to pay for your deductible. Normal deductibles range from $500 to $1,000. The insured will need to first pay that amount before receiving any coverage for damages sustained.

If the damages are less than what the deductible is, it may not be worth filing a claim since you will be paying for the deductible first.

However, many times, damages that are sustained from are much more than the deductible. That small payment of $500 is worth it in comparison to what the driver would be paying if he had to pay full costs.

Proving the Damage Was from Vandalism

You will need to provide solid proof to your insurance company first to show that it was, in fact, vandalism. Your insurance company will want to make sure you are not wanting to pull one over the insurance company and defraud the system.

One way to get some solid evidence is to file a police report as soon as you discover the damage to your vehicle. Get some back up by having the police investigate what happened.

If you have witnesses who saw the incident, get their contact information so you can have another person vouch for your position. That police report will go a long way in giving some credibility to your claim. Getting information from eyewitnesses can be crucial for proving your case.

Filing a Claim

After you contact the police, it is important you contact your insurance company as soon as possible. You can file the report over the phone, and a claims adjuster will come out to examine the damage to the car. Do not wait too long to contact your insurance company.

The longer you wait, the more holes the insurance company will poke in your story. It may say that the damage came from a later incident and not the one of which you complain.

Try to get the claims adjuster out quickly so that he or she can view your car and get the claims process started.

Contact an Attorney Today

If you have been the victim of vandalism and are concerned about whether you have coverage for damages received, it's a good idea for you to contact an attorney to ask any questions you may have. A licensed personal injury attorney will be able to evaluate your case and determine if you have a claim against the other party’s insurance company.

To receive the compensation for your medical bills, property damages, and pain and suffering, you should speak with a personal injury attorney in your area today.