Were You Run off the Road by a Truck?

Car crashes can result in injuries that cause life-altering injuries and long-term disabilities. Being in a crash can cause pain and suffering, lost wages because of missed work, and mounting medical bills. If you have been injured because you were run off the road by a truck, you might be able to get the help you need from a personal injury claim.

The insurance company of the driver who was at fault is usually liable for the damages, but if you were run off the road by a truck and the truck didn’t stop, you might have some difficult tracking the driver down. Fortunately, a personal injury attorney may be able to help. If you have been involved in a hit-and-run crash, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer as quickly as possible.

Finding the Driver of the Truck

If the truck continued toward its destination and left the scene, it may be challenging to track him or her down. In this case, your eyewitness account with a description of the truck, as well as information provided by other witnesses may help officers find the truck and driver and determine responsibility for the crash.

If the truck driver is found and determined to be at fault for the accident, he or she may be charged with leaving the scene of the accident. If they are determined at fault, you would file a personal injury claim with their insurance company.
It also depends where the crash occurred. Different states have different laws regarding accidents.

Ran off the road?

As an example, pure comparative fault states allow the driver to collect damages based on their percentage of responsibility. This is true even if they are as much to blame for the crash as the other driver. In a modified comparative fault state, the driver can collect damages based on their percentage of responsibility only if they were less than 50% at fault for the crash. If it is a no fault state, it doesn’t matter who caused the crash. In this case, the injured driver must seek compensation from his or her own insurance company.

Filing a Personal Injury Claim

If you suffered injuries and the driver of the truck is not found, you might be able to file a claim against your own insurance policy under the uninsured or underinsured motorist portion of your policy. By doing this, you can seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

To support your claim, you need to maintain complete records and thorough documentation to show the severity of your injuries, any need for ongoing medical care, and if these injuries are going to have a lasting impact on you and result in long-term disabilities.

The Role of a Personal Injury Attorney

A personal injury attorney will handle the claims process for you. He or she will ensure you are treated fairly and will negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement to cover your losses, including any lost wages, pain and suffering, and to cover your medical costs. If you are going to suffer long-term disabilities or lasting injuries, your attorney will make sure that is given proper consideration during the settlement as well. A personal injury attorney will give you the best chance at getting the compensation you deserve.