We hope you find this information helpful!

If you need help with your personal injury case, click here.

Does Progressive Have a Grace Period for Car Insurance?

Car insurance is a necessity for those who own a car and frequently drive. Drivers are at risk if they don’t take out a policy to cover themselves and everyone else on the road.

If you have insurance coverage and you are late renewing your 12 month policy the grace period given to renew it is up to 10 days. If you are expected to renew by August 1st you are given until the 11th to do so.

This means you should still be covered up to that date. If you have been involved in an auto accident and you believe it wasn’t your fault you may be able to seek help from an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney will fight on your behalf to get a settlement you deserve from the at-fault driver’s insurer and not your own.

What is the Grace Period?

Insurance companies know that sometimes their customers may have forgotten when their auto insurance is up for renewal so they sometimes grant a grace period which can be found on the policy document. It’s to give drivers the chance to still be covered for a short duration when the policy date has expired while they are getting the money ready to pay. Paying after the expiry date could attract a financial penalty from the insurer.

A Crash Could Affect Your Auto Insurance

Car insurance policies are considered by some to be a necessary evil because it could be very expensive if a driver causes an accident and is forced to pay compensation for vehicle damage and hospital treatment out of their own pocket.

However, many drivers don’t want to tell their insurers they have been involved in an accident because they are afraid their premiums will become unaffordable. Many insurers don’t raise premiums straightaway depending on certain factors like:

  • how seriously injured the drivers of the vehicles involved are and how much the vehicle repair is likely to be;
  • who or what was the actual cause of the accident;
  • if the policy holder didn’t cause the accident, it’s unlikely the policy fee will rise;
  • if the auto accident took place in a no-fault state where both insurance companies involved share the burden of the costs of damage and of injuries in an accident;
  • the extent of customer loyalty and the policy holder’s safety record in the past;
  • whether your insurance offers accident forgiveness, which is a method used to reward loyalty so if a first accident takes place there won’t be any forced increase in the premium.

Car Accidents and Insurance Responsibility

If you have been in an accident, odds are that the at-fault driver’s insurance is responsible for covering the costs associated with the damages and injuries caused by that driver’s negligence. You should be aware that the circumstances of the accident will affect how and if the insurance will pay.

There must be hard evidence to show negligence and to prove liability before an insurance company will step up and cover the costs. Of course, the kind of coverage and the amount of coverage will come into play and have an affect on how claims are paid. You should be sure to review your coverage with your auto insurer regularly.

Also, the state laws where the accident takes place will affect the claims process. If it is a pure contributory negligence state, you cannot recover your damages if you were even the least bit to blame for the crash. However, if you are in a state that uses the pure comparative fault approach, you can still recover damages even if you were 99 percent at fault for the accident.

Modified comparative fault is used in 33 states. Twelve of those states use the 50 percent Bar Rule, which means that you cannot recover damages if you are 50 percent or more to blame. If you are 49 percent or less to blame, you can recover compensation, but it will be reduced by your percent of fault for the crash. There are 21 states that use a 51 percent Bar Rule, which means that you can recover compensation if you are 50 percent or less at fault for the crash.

Of course, these laws can vary slightly, so you should talk with an attorney who is familiar with the personal injury laws in your state. An attorney will know the best way for you to proceed with your claim, and which damages you can recover after an auto accident.

Always gather the supporting evidence and documentation, and make sure you have the best coverage for your specific needs. You need to make sure you have the protection that you need in case you are involved in an accident in the rain.

Liability Insurance

Most states require all drivers to maintain liability insurance coverage. There are specified minimal amounts. As an example, in Tennessee a driver must maintain 25/50/15, which is $25,000 per person up to a maximum of $50,000 per accident for injuries and up to $15,000 for property damages. Your insurance agent will know the state requirements where you live.

Liability coverage is designed to cover the damages that you cause if you are at fault for a crash that causes injuries and damages. Property damage liability covers the damages to the vehicle while general liability covers the other damages, such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other personal injury related costs. The liability coverage of the at-fault driver should take care of the other party’s losses.

No-Fault Car Insurance

Some states incorporate a no-fault policy and drivers must maintain no-fault insurance. In this case, you will need to file a claim with your no-fault car insurance coverage to take care of your property damages and personal injury costs. If you have collision coverage, it will pay for the damages to your vehicle even if you are at-fault for the crash in a state where fault is used.

You should make sure that you have coverage to protect you and your assets if you are involved in an accident and the other driver doesn’t have enough coverage or doesn’t have any coverage. Be sure to talk with your insurance agent about your coverage and make sure you have the proper protection if you are in a crash. You want to make sure you have enough coverage to keep you out of a lawsuit if you are at fault for a crash and liable for the damages as well.

Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist

If you are hit by a driver who doesn’t have the proper insurance coverage, or who has the minimal coverage and it doesn’t cover all your damages, you need to file a claim under your uninsured/underinsured coverage. If you have both personal injury and property damage coverage, your vehicle and your injuries will be taken care of through your own coverage up to the policy maximum.

As an example, you are hit by a driver who is insured, but they have coverage that is 50/100/50. That means it will pay up to $50,000 for your personal injury and up to $50,000 for your property damages. Your new Porsche was totaled, and your medical bills exceed $50,000. You will need to file a claim with your underinsured/uninsured coverage to make up the difference in your losses.

How A Lawyer Can Help

If you have been involved in an auto accident, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer who handles auto accident injury cases in your state. An attorney has strong investigative skills as well as negotiation skills. Your attorney should be able to review the evidence and determine fault and liability. Your attorney will work to protect your rights and will work to help you recover compensation for your losses.

When you hire an accident injury attorney, you will not have to pay anything out of pocket. Instead, your attorney will take the case on a contingency basis. That means that your lawyer will not require a payment or need to be compensated for their services until you win your claim and recover compensation through a judgment or a settlement. At that point, your attorney will be paid the agreed percentage of your settlement.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to share the details of your case with a law firm who handles auto accident injury cases in your state. You can then determine the best way to proceed with your personal injury claim after a rain accident.

Compensation is your right following an accident that wasn’t your fault. You will need an experienced personal injury lawyer to fight on your behalf to get the settlement you deserve. Fill out the Free Case Evaluation on this page to be put in contact with an experienced personal injury attorney.

Additional Resources