We hope you find this information helpful!

If you need help with your personal injury case, click here.

Who Is Responsible for Medical Expenses After a City Vehicle Car Accident?

If you, or another passenger, were injured in a city vehicle car accident you could be able to get all your medical expenses paid after the car accident by the insurer of the other driver if proven to be at fault.

Initially, however, you may still have to pay your own city vehicle car accident medical bills. If you have sufficient evidence which proves the other driver was at fault, you may receive compensation for your injuries which should include personal injury medical expenses.

Who Pays for Medical Treatment?

When you are injured in a city vehicle car accident you may have to pay for your own medical treatment when asked to do so, or ask your insurer to pay, but it may also be possible to receive compensation from the at-fault driver. This could include medical expenses after a city vehicle car accident.

There are many different types of injuries that are possible after a city vehicle car accident as it will depend on the speed of the vehicle and where it hits your car. If the city vehicle ran a red light and hit your car on its side as you were crossing the intersection, you may experience a serious injury like a broken arm or shoulder.

If you do not have any health insurance, diagnosing and treating a broken arm which does not need surgery typically could cost $2,500 or more. If surgery is needed, without health insurance it could cost at least $16,000.

States That Have No Fault Insurance

No-fault accident states require that drivers pay for personal injury protection (PIP) cover as part of their car insurance policy. There are 12 no-fault states, which includes the following:

  • Florida,
  • Kansas,
  • Michigan,
  • New Jersey,
  • New York,
  • Pennsylvania,
  • Hawaii,
  • Kentucky,
  • Massachusetts,
  • Minnesota,
  • North Dakota,
  • Utah.

You may file a claim with PIP whether you were at fault or not. The amount of medical treatment you may be entitled to claim will depend on how much cover you have in insurance.

The majority of no-fault states demand a minimum amount of PIP insurance be paid by drivers. Lost wages are also covered by PIP insurance, but any damage done to your vehicle will not be paid. In a city vehicle accident in a no-fault state, the PIP should be enough to cover you’re your personal injury medical expenses, but you may have to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver if you would like to recover damage to your property.

States That Do Not Have No Fault Insurance

In a fault state your initial car accident medical bills may only be claimed if you have paid for one of the optional medical insurance policies, such as PIP or MedPay. The latter isn’t exactly the same as PIP because it isn’t quite as expensive and can be adapted to meet your requirements, but does not provide any compensation for any lost wages.

If you were not at fault and you have adequate evidence to prove that another driver caused the city vehicle accident, you may be able to file a personal injury claim for compensation to pay your medical expenses. If your claim is successful, the at-fault driver’s insurer may be told to pay back any medical expenses you have already been given by your own insurer.

An attorney may be able to help you determine fault and who needs to pay for medical expenses. Fill out the Free Case Evaluation on this page today!

Additional Resources