We hope you find this information helpful!

If you need help with your personal injury case, click here.

Who Is Responsible for Medical Expenses After a T-Bone Accident?

You may not need to be concerned if you were injured in a T-bone accident if you are able to get car accident medical bills paid after the accident by the insurer after the driver who you can prove was at fault. You may have to pay the T-bone car accident medical bills straight after having the medical treatment. However, if you have the right proof that the other driver caused the car accident, you might be eligible to recover medical expenses after a car accident from your insurer or through the filing of a personal injury claim.

Who Pays for Medical Treatment?

When you have suffered an injury in a T-bone accident, you be asked to pay the medical treatment when you are given the invoice by the hospital or you may ask your insurer to pay. It might also be possible to get compensation from the at fault driver’s insurer. T-bone accidents often cause serious injuries like a brain or spinal injury.

If you haven’t taken out any health insurance, the diagnosis and treatment of a serious head injury like traumatic brain injury (TBI) could cost $8,000 per day in hospital. Residential rehabilitation centers can charge TBI patients from $850 to $2,500 per day. Even non- rehabilitation services that are not residential could cost as much as $1,000 per day. If a patient dies due to TBI the total cost of treatment could reach $450,000.

States That Have No Fault Insurance

There are some no-fault accident states which insist that all drivers pay for personal injury protection (PIP) cover as well as the normal car insurance. These are the following:

  • Utah
  • Pennsylvania
  • North Dakota
  • New York
  • New Jersey
  • Minnesota
  • Michigan
  • Massachusetts
  • Kentucky
  • Hawaii
  • Kansas
  • Florida.

You may be able to file a claim with PIP even if you were at fault for the T-bone accident. The cost of the car accident medical bills you may be able to claim could be dependent on the value of the insurance you have paid for in the first place. Most no-fault states enforce the requirement that a minimum amount of PIP insurance be paid.

Any wages lost due to injuries caused in the T-bone accident may be paid through PIP insurance too, but car damage isn’t typically included. In a T-bone accident in a no-fault state, the PIP cover is normally perfectly adequate to cover your personal injury medical expenses. However, it may be essential to file a personal injury claim against the driver who was the cause of the car accident if you have property damage that needs to be paid for as well.

States That Do Not Have No Fault Insurance

In a fault state your T-bone car accident medical bills may only be claimed if you have paid for coverage from one of the non-compulsory medical insurance policies like PIP or MedPay. PIP costs more than MedPay but it can be adjusted to match your personal requirements and does include payments for loss of wages, which MedPay doesn’t.

If you were not at fault and you have the right amount of evidence which proves that another driver caused the T-bone accident, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim for compensation which will be responsible for paying your personal injury medical expenses. If your claim is successful, the at-fault driver’s insurer may be told to pay any medical expenses you have already been provided by your own personal insurer.

Get a Free Case Evaluation Today

Additional Resources