Unfortunately, there are many hit-and-run crashes that lead to damages and injuries. Often, these are referred to as phantom driver accidents because the car that causes the crash doesn’t make contact and then leaves the scene of the accident.
If you have been driven off the road by another driver and suffered injuries and damages, you can still file a personal injury claim to seek compensation for any damages from the accident. To get your claim started, you will have to send a demand letter to either the other party and their insurance – if identified – or to your uninsured motorist coverage.
When you send a demand letter, you are notifying the insurance company or the other party that you want to be reimbursed for the losses you suffered because of the accident. You will need to document everything and send supporting evidence, so it is important to get a copy of the accident report that was filed when you called the police after the crash. A personal injury attorney will help you gather up supporting documentation and evidence for your personal injury claim.
Writing Your Demand Letter
There are several specifics that you must include in your demand letter. These are details that support your personal injury claim after being driven off the road by another driver.
- State the time and location of the accident
- Explain what happened
- Explain your damages and how they were suffered
- Provide supporting documentation, such as medical bills, proof of lost wages, and damage repair estimates
- Include photos of the accident scene, photos of the damages, and a copy of the accident report
- Include witness statements if there were any witnesses
- Specify how much you expect to settle your claim – this is the dollar amount – you should itemize it
You need to provide evidence and be convincing, so the insurance company will take your personal injury claim after being driven off the road seriously. Personal injury attorneys have strong negotiation skills and know how to write a demand letter for a personal injury claim, so have your attorney to send the letter.
Determine Your Damages
You can suffer a variety of damages after you have been in an auto accident where you were run off the road. Here are a few of the damages that people claim after such crashes:
- Medical expenses (past & future)
- Lost wages (both past & future)
- Pain and suffering
- Property damages
- Mental anguish
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered injuries in an accident where you were driven off the road, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer about the details of your case. There is a strict statute of limitations, so if you wait too long, you cannot file your personal injury claim. Fill out the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today.