Mail carriers rely on vans and trucks of all sizes to take care of the delivery needs of customers. If your vehicle was parked and it was hit by a mail truck, you can recover compensation for the damages that you suffered.
Always call the police to ensure an accident report is completed. If you can show that they were negligent, your claim will be successful. You should enlist the help of an accident injury lawyer who practices in your area, so you can get your claim on the right track.
Postal services have a duty or a responsibility to drive safely to protect others and their property, so that is the first element of negligence. Next, show that duty was breached when the driver hit your car that was legally parked. Third, show that breaching that duty caused your car’s damages, and then lastly, show the damages were a result of the accident from the breach of duty.
The Demand Letter
Your attorney will send the demand letter to the company and their insurance company to let them know you want to be compensated for your damages. This letter must include specific details and have supporting evidence and documentation that shows the damages you suffered along with your losses.
Here are some key things that a demand letter should include:
- Make sure you include the date, time, and location of the accident
- Discuss the accident in detail
- Explain what happened – say your car was hit while it was parked at (include specific location) and why you parked it there
- Explain your damages in detail, such as a broken headlight and damaged fender, and include supporting documentation, such as the repair estimate, the receipt for a tow truck, and the receipt for a rental car, if applicable
- Documentation, such as photos of the crash scene, photos of the damages, a copy of the accident report, and witness statements are needed
- Itemize your damages and indicate what they are for line by line
- Have a total value for your claim and indicate that you expect to receive this amount from the company for your losses
Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer
If your parked car was hit, you have suffered damages. You will want to be compensated for your losses, so enlist the help of a personal injury attorney in your area who can help you with your property damage claim. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form to get your claim on the right track today.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against UPS, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.