What to do if in an Accident with ART*

If you have been in an accident involving your local transport system and you believe they are liable for the damages, you might be able to recover compensation for your losses by pursuing a personal injury claim against the transit system.

Kinds of Damages that Might be Suffered in an Accident

If you have been involved in an accident, you might have suffered life-altering injuries. You should always notify the proper authorities and have an accident report completed. You should be checked by a medical professional as soon as possible after an accident involving the bus. Failing to establish medical care right away can be very damaging to your claim. Maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, medical records, repair estimates, and proof of missed work and lost wages. Here are a few of the more common damages suffered in such accidents:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Pursuing a personal injury claim against a government entity is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. Because of sovereign immunity, you will have to follow specific protocol and prove that the agency’s employees acted negligently and that this caused your injuries and damages. There are specific deadlines for giving the county a notice of your intent to sue, and usually that is six months after the accident. They will then investigate your claim. If your claim is denied, or if they fail to respond in a timely manner, you can pursue legal action by filing a lawsuit. You will need to provide supporting documentation that shows when the accident happened, how it happened and your damages. You should include a copy of the accident report. Altogether, it is a complicated process.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have suffered damages in an accident, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Pursuing a claim against a government agency is complicated and requires specific protocol to be followed. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so they aren’t paid until you are compensated for your damages through a judgment or a personal injury settlement. To have your claim reviewed by an experienced attorney, complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page. An attorney will review the details of your case and determine how to proceed.

Additional Resources


The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against ART, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.