What to Do If You're in an Accident With CapMetro* in Austin, TX

While public transportation is a great asset to a community, it can come with its risk, just like any other kind of transportation. If you have been injured in an accident with a city transportation system, you might be able to recover compensation for your damages by pursuing a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result

City buses could be involved in various accidents. There are bus crashes and commuter rail accidents and derailments. Any of these could lead to personal injuries, such as broken bones, back and neck injuries, soft tissue injuries, brain injuries, personal property damages, and more.

A personal injury attorney will be able to assess your situation and determine your damages. Be sure your accident is reported to the proper authorities and that an accident report is completed to show that you did suffer injuries. Always seek medical care as soon as possible after any kind of accident, including those that involve public transportation.

Depending on the situation, you could be entitled to these damages:

  • Medical expenses – past and future
  • Lost wages – past and future
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Property damages
  • Loss of consortium
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Long-term or permanent disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against a Governmental Entity

Pursuing a claim against a government entity, such as public transportation that is owned and operated by local government, is not the same as pursuing a personal injury claim against a private party.

For example, government entities accept liability for personal injury, death and property damage that government employees cause in vehicle accidents during their scope of government duties. If an individual or organization could face personal liability under typical state laws, then a government agency can be held liable.

The government will not pay more than $500,000 per incident for injuries or more than $250,000 per person. Property damage will not be paid to exceed $100,000. These caps are on government functions, but not proprietary functions. A personal injury attorney will be able to determine what is applicable to your situation.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured in an accident involving public transit, you should schedule a free case evaluation with a personal injury attorney. To file a personal injury claim against the city, you must send a letter of notification with intent within 45 days of the date of the accident. Your notice must include:

  • The accident date, time, and location
  • A full description
  • The kinds of damages suffered – including injuries and property damages
  • Financial statements associated with your injuries
  • Supporting documents
  • A daytime phone number and your mailing address

Because of the complexity of such claims, you need an accident injury lawyer on your side. Schedule your Free Case Evaluation with a personal injury attorney in your area today!

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against CapMetro, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources