What To Do If You Are Injured in an Accident With JTA*

If you are involved in an accident with the city, you could suffer a variety of damages. You might suffer soft tissue injuries, such as whiplash, or broken bones. Even neck or back injuries or head trauma could result. Any of these injuries could prove costly and take a long time to heal.

What Kinds of Damages?

Here are some common injuries claimed in such an accident:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Long-term or permanent disabilities
  • Mental trauma

You should make sure an accident report is completed. Be sure the proper parties are notified. Seek medical care right away. Even injuries that don’t appear serious could be worse than you initially believe.

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against the City

Filing a personal injury claim against a government entity is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. This notice must be filed before any action can be filed in court.

The city, state and any applicable agencies have six months to respond to the notice. If they deny your claim, you can seek legal action in court. The statute of limitations for these claims is three years, so you have three years from the date of the accident to provide the required notice.

Some state statutes do limit how much you can recover in a lawsuit against a government entity. The most you can recover is $200,000, and in some cases, $300,000. Any verdict over that amount must be presented to legislature in a claims bill for them to act on. For a claim against a government entity, an attorney cannot charge more than 25% of any settlement or judgment for fees.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

Personal injury claims against government entities are complicated, so consult with a personal injury attorney right away if you have been injured in an accident with the city. You don’t want to wait too long to pursue action and miss out on your opportunity to recoup compensation for the damages you suffered because of the negligence of the city or an employee of the organization.

A lawyer will help increase the chances of a successful claim. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form to get your case reviewed by a personal injury attorney licensed in your state.

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA), or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources