What to Do If in an Accident With MetroBus*

If you have been injured in an accident involving a city bus or train, you might be able to recover your damages through a personal injury claim. Speaking with a personal injury lawyer can help make sure you properly file a claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might be Suffered in an Accident?

You can be injured as a passenger during a bus crash. You could suffer a slip and fall on the bus itself as well. You might be in a vehicle that is hit by a speeding bus and suffer broken bones. Or, you might be crossing the street when a bus hit you.

Either way, you might have suffered life-altering injuries and financial challenges. Always notify the proper authorities of an accident and make sure they complete an accident report. Be sure to establish medical care right away. Maintain documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, medical records, proof of lost wages, and any repair estimates.

Here are some common damages claimed by accident victims:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Government entities have sovereign immunity, which protects them from lawsuits. But, thanks to the Tort Claims Act, you can hold a government entity responsible for damages if the injuries were caused by negligence.

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the city is much more challenging than pursuing damages from an individual. You must serve the public transportation agency with written notice of your intent to sue within a year of the injury.

You must provide evidence to support your claim, including details of when and how the accident occurred, your damages, and why you think the government is liable. An investigation will follow, and your claim will be approved or denied. If you disagree with the decision, you can file a lawsuit.

Consult With a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been involved in an accident in any area or city, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Pursuing claims against government entities are challenging, and you need someone who knows state and local laws representing you.

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing at all to lose. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today, so you can have your case reviewed by a personal injury lawyer.

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against MetroBus, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources