What to Do If Injured in an Accident With RTD*

If you are injured in an accident with a city vehicle, then you might be able to receive compensation for your damages through a personal injury claim against the city. A personal injury lawyer can help you successfully file a claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might be Obtained in an Accident

An accident involving a city vehicle could lead to life-altering injuries and lasting damages. You will need to notify the proper authorities to make sure an accident report is completed. Even if you aren’t sure about the severity of your injuries, you should seek medical treatment.

Failure to establish medical care right away can be damaging to your claim. Maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, including medical bills, medical records, proof of lost wages and missed work, written repair estimates, and photos of any injuries and damages.

Here are some of the more common damages that might result from an accident:

  • Medical expenses – past and future
  • Lost wages – past and future
  • Pain and suffering
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Long-term disabilities
  • Property damages

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

When you pursue a personal injury claim against a government agency the process is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities, such as the state and the city are immune from personal injury claims made against them, but claims are permitted in some conditions.

You must file a Notice of Claim with the proper government agency. This is to notify them that you suffered injuries or damages and you want to be compensated. You must file the claim in the mayor’s office within 180 days of suffering the injury.

You must provide supporting documentation to show your injury was caused by the city or public transport and what damages you suffered. If you don’t get a reply to your claim or it is denied, you can pursue a personal injury claim much as you would do against an individual.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have suffered damages in an accident, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Claims against government entities are complicated. To make sure your paperwork is filed timely and accurately, you need an attorney to represent you.

Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing at all to lose. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to get your personal injury claim reviewed by an accident injury lawyer.

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Regional Transportation District (RTD), or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources