Underinsured Motorist Hit My Parked Car

If your car was parked in a parking lot, on the side of the street, or even in a driveway and it was hit by another vehicle, the other driver’s insurance should cover the cost of your damages. Sometimes drivers only maintain the state required minimum insurance coverage, which may not be enough to cover your losses. In that case, you will need to also pursue a claim with your underinsured motorist coverage to make sure your losses and damages are paid for in full.

As an example, some states require a minimum of $15,000 in coverages for property damages. Newer vehicles cost more than that. So, if you are driving a late model luxury vehicle with a book value of $50,000, then the at-fault driver’s coverage will not cover your losses. Actually, their insurance will be about $35,000 short when it comes to covering the cost of your property damages. You will need to notify your insurance of the loss and the shortage.

What To Do If Your Parked Car Is Hit

If your parked car has been hit by another driver, you will need to call the police. You will want to have an accident report filed regarding the crash. This will help detail what happened. Usually, the officer will investigate the crash, determine who was at fault, why and how the crash happened, and make note of the damages. If possible, you should get photos of the damages and of the accident scene. If there are any witnesses to your accident, you should ask them to provide written statements regarding what they saw and include their names and contact details.

You should have your vehicle towed to a qualified automotive repair facility. Be sure to get a detailed written estimate for the damages, as you will need this to file your claim. Keep copies of the tow bills as you will want to be reimbursed for those as well. Also, if you must use a rental car for a while as you are waiting to get your vehicle replaced or repaired, you will want to have the insurance reimburse you for that expense as well. Remember, to maintain thorough records and keep all documentation that show your losses.

 Underinsured Motorist Hit My Parked Car

Consult With A Personal Injury Attorney

If your parked car was hit by an underinsured motorist, you should enlist the help of a personal injury lawyer who is licensed in your state. With the help of an attorney, you are much more likely to recover compensation for your damages. You don’t have to worry about upfront expenses. Instead, personal injury lawyers work on the contingency basis. Schedule your free case review today because personal injury attorneys work on the contingency basis. That means your lawyer will not get paid until you win your claim. There is a statute of limitations for pursuing a claim, so make sure you get your free case review right away! Remember, time is of the utmost importance of getting your claim on track.

Additional Resources: