Walmart, like any other discount department store, is responsible for keeping its properties clean and safe for customers. When you go onto a store's premises, you should not expect to be subjected to dangers that could result in your injuries.
If a slip and fall in a discount department store left you injured, you may be able to pursue a personal injury claim. There are five things to do if you slipped and fell, and these things can help you with the claims process.
Five Steps To Take After a Slip and Fall
1. Talk to any witnesses. Ask any witnesses to provide written statements that detail the accident, why you fell, how it happened, and how it could have been prevented. Witness statements can help your personal injury claim significantly and show that the store was liable for your damages. You will need witnesses to include their names and contact details with their statements.
2. Get photos of the accident scene. Photos of the injuries and where and how you fell will support a personal injury claim. As an example, if you fell on cooking oil that was spilled in the grocery department, a photo of the floor where you fell could be very beneficial in supporting your personal injury claim.
3. Look for video cameras. Walmart stores, like any other discount department store, have numerous video cameras for security reasons. Your entire slip and fall might have been caught on video. If there was a video in the nearby vicinity, your lawyer could ask the court to petition it so it could be used as evidence. After all the parties view the video, it might be much easier to reach an agreement with the store for your slip and fall injuries.
4. Tell a store manager or supervisor. You must notify the store of the accident so they can complete an accident report. Be sure to tell them exactly what happened, how it happened and put the incident in detail. You will need a copy of this accident report when you file a personal injury claim.
5. Enlist the help of a personal injury lawyer. With the help of a personal injury attorney, your odds of a successful claim against Walmart, or any other discount department store, are likely to increase significantly. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you don't have to worry about any upfront costs. Your lawyer will not get paid until you are. This means that once you are compensated, then your attorney will be paid.
Speak with a PI Lawyer
State laws regarding personal injury claims can vary significantly. There is a strict statute of limitations for pursing a personal injury claim.
If you wait too long, your claim will be thrown out and you will not be compensated for your damages even if you prove the store is at fault. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to have the details of your slip and fall accident reviewed by accident injury lawyer that takes cases in your area.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Walmart, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.