We hope you find this information helpful!

If you need help with your personal injury case, click here.

Do You Need an Attorney to Sue the City of Phoenix?*

If you have suffered an injury because of the city's negligence, you can file a personal injury claim against the government entity to recover compensation for your damages.

What Kinds of Damages Might be Suffered in an Accident Caused by the City?

There are several ways that you could suffer injuries in an accident and the city be liable. If you can show that the city or its employees were negligent, then they are responsible for your damages. As an example, a slip and fall caused by a broken sidewalk that the city knew needed repairs is their responsibility to take care of. A car crash caused by a city employee texting while driving is also the city’s responsibility to handle. Here are some of the more common damages included in personal injury claims:

  • Lost earnings
  • Future loss of earnings
  • Medical expenses
  • Future medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Mental anguish
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against the City

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the city isn’t like a personal injury claim against an individual. Government entities, such as cities, are protected from lawsuits. There are certain exceptions that allow a personal injury claim to be filed. To pursue a personal injury claim against the city, you must file a Notice of Claim against the city within 180 days of the incident. Filing this form can be confusing, so you should consult with a personal injury lawyer licensed in the relevant state. If the claim isn’t satisfactorily settled, or if the city fails to respond, you can then file a lawsuit.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you were injured in an accident caused by the negligence of the city or its employees, you should consult with a personal injury attorney who handles such claims. Pursuing a personal injury claim can be challenging, so it takes an experienced accident injury attorney to handle claims against government entities. Personal injury attorneys don’t require upfront cash because they work on contingency basis. They will not be paid until you are compensated through a judgment or settlement. There is a strict statute of limitations for pursuing a claim, so act now. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to have the details shared with a personal injury lawyer licensed in your area.

Additional Resources


The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the city of Phoenix, or the state government of Arizona or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Do You Need Help Getting Justice In Your State?

Find out more below.

  • Arkansas    
  • California    
  • Connecticut    
  • Florida    
  • Georgia    
  • Idaho    
  • Indiana
  • Louisiana    
  • Maryland    
  • Massachusetts   
  • Michigan   
  • Missouri    
  • Montana    
  • Nevada    
  • New Hampshire    
  • New Jersey    
  • New Mexico    
  • New York    
  • South Carolina    
  • Texas    
  • Utah    
  • Virginia    
  • West Virginia    
  • Wisconsin    
  • Wyoming