I Was Hurt After Being Hit By An Uninsured Motorist

Auto accidents happen every day. And despite laws in most states requiring insurance coverage, the Insurance Research Council reports that about 14.3% of all drivers were uninsured as of 2008. Based on those figures, about 14 out of every 100 drivers on the road is uninsured, so your chances of being in a crash with an uninsured motorist is very real. The Insurance Journal reports that in five states there are more than 20% of the drivers without insurance.

Hundreds of thousands of people are injured in auto accidents every year. Of course, many of those accidents are the fault of an uninsured motorist. When an uninsured motorist is to blame for the crash, you as an insured driver will need to file a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage. Your insurance coverage will be left to pay for the damages that you suffered from the crash.

Pursuing a Claim Under Your Uninsured Motorist Coverage

When you must file a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage, you can claim all the damages that you suffered just as you would with any other personal injury claim. That means you can also claim pain and suffering.

But, just as with any other accident injury claim, you should seek the guidance of a personal injury attorney. You want to make sure you are treated fairly and that you get compensation for your damages. Here are some of the more common injuries that you might suffer from such an accident:

  • Medical expenses – past and future
  • Lost wages – past and future
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damages
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities
  • Loss of consortium

You will need to maintain documentation to support your claim and to show your losses. You should keep copies of medical bills, medical records, proof of missed work and lost wages, photos of injuries, photos of property damages, statements from witnesses, a copy of the accident report, prescription receipts, documents for any medical equipment or devices that you purchased, and a journal indicating how your daily activities were affected by your injuries.

I Was Hurt After Being Hit By An Uninsured Motorist

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you were hurt after being hit by an uninsured motorist, you should consult with a personal injury attorney before you pursue a claim. An accident injury lawyer understands the claims process and has negotiating skills to take on the insurance companies and ensure clients are treated fairly.

The lawyer will also consider your future losses, such as future medical bills and the future loss of wages. All your losses should be considered at once.

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you have no upfront costs. Your lawyer will not be paid for his or her services until you have gotten compensated through a personal injury settlement or a judgment. There is a strict statute of limitations, so time is limited for filing a claim. If you wait too long, you cannot be compensated for your losses. Get your Free Case Evaluation today!

Additional Resources