You are here

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with BART*

Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) provides rapid transit public transportation in the San Francisco Bay Area.

BART provides heavy rail elevated and a subway system to connect San Francisco and Oakland with suburban and urban areas in Contra Costa, San Mateo, and Alameda counties.

With 48 stations and six routes on 112 miles of lines, BART began operation in 1972. It is operated by the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District.

BART has 662 total vehicles with 535 of them in service, not including the automated gateway transit (AGT) fleet. The daily ridership is 423,395 on weekdays, 188,190 on Saturdays, and 133,482 on Sundays.

If you were injured in an accident involving BART, you might be able to recoup compensation for your damages by pursuing a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Be Suffered in an Accident with BART?

You could suffer serious injuries and damages in an accident involving BART. Some injuries might be life-altering. Notify the proper authorities after an accident.

You will need an accident report completed to support your claim. Maintain documentation to support your claim, such as medical records, medical bills, proof of missed work and lost wages, and repair estimates.

You will need to establish medical care as soon as possible after the accident. Failure to establish medical care promptly can negatively affect your claim. There are several different damages that might result from a BART accident.

Here are a few of the damages that people claim in such situations:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of consortium
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with BART

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against BART

If you have suffered damages from an accident involving BART, you can pursue a personal injury claim.

Pursuing a personal injury claim against a government agency is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. There is a very limited timeframe for pursuing a claim against a government entity.

You will need to send a notice of claim, which is basically a notice to let BART know that you are planning legal action for your damages, within six months of your accident. It gives them the opportunity to settle your claim.

If they don’t respond or if your claim is denied, you can take legal action through a lawsuit. The process is very detailed, and specific documents must be filled out in detail and proper documentation supporting your claim must be included.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been involved in an accident involving BART, you should consult with a personal injury attorney licensed to practice in California. An attorney will be familiar with the state and local laws and can determine the best way to proceed with your claim.

Working on a contingency basis, accident injury lawyers won’t be paid until you are compensated for damages.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to get your claim underway.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the BART, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Call Now For a Free Case Evaluation: 844-650-3888