You are here

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with CATS*

Capital Area Transit System (CATS) provides public transportation to East Baton Rouge Parish in Louisiana. It doesn’t travel outside the parish boundaries and doesn’t go across the Mississippi River, but it serves the entire city and several of the west bank suburbs. The diesel buses run 30 routes and have five hubs.

CATS was originally the Capital Transit Corporation formed by the City of Baton Rouge, but during a rebranding in 2004 it became known as CATS. It was later defined as an Act, which created the transit authority and how it was governed, by the Louisiana Legislature.

Thanks to the voters of Baker and Baton Rouge approving a property tax increase, CATS found stable funding in 2012.

If you have been involved in an accident with CATS that you believe was caused by the negligence of a CATS employee, you might be able to recoup compensation through a personal injury claim.

What Damages Might Result From an Accident with CATS

There are many ways you could be involved in an accident with CATS and there are many ways that you could be injured. You might be a passenger on a CATS bus that crashes and overturns.

You could be getting off the bus when you slip and fall because of a problem with the bus that should have been corrected.

You could be struck by a bus while as a pedestrian or operating your own vehicle when you were hit by a bus. Any of these accidents should be reported to the proper authorities and an accident report completed.

You should establish medical care right away, and maintain documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, medical records, proof of missed work and lost wages, and so forth.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with CATS in Baton Rouge

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against CATS in Baton Rouge

Pursuing a personal injury claim against CATS is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, which protects them from lawsuits.

The Louisiana Tort Claims Act allows personal injury claims when the damages were caused by the gross negligence of a government employee.

You will need to serve CATS and Baton Rouge with a notice of claim that provides all the details, explaining how you were injured, why you were injured and why you believe that the agency is liable for damages.

A one-year statute of limitations applies. If your claim is not settled, you can pursue a lawsuit.

Consult with a Baton Rouge Personal Injury Attorney

If you have suffered injuries in an accident with CATS and you believe CATS is liable for your damages, consult with a Baton Rouge personal injury attorney.

You need a lawyer who is licensed in Louisiana and who is familiar with state and local laws. Accident injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today to have your claim reviewed!

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the CATS, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Call Now For a Free Case Evaluation: 844-650-3888