What to Do If You’re in an Accident with DART* in Irving, Texas

If you were injured in an accident in your state involving a city bus, you might be able to recoup compensation for your damages through a personal injury claim.

What Kinds Of Damages Might Result From An Accident

An accident involving a city bus could happen in many ways and might cause life-altering injuries.

Regardless of whether you were injured as a passenger on a city vehicle, as a pedestrian, or as the occupant of another vehicle that collided with a city vehicle, you should notify the proper authorities right away. Make sure an accident report is completed. If possible, photograph the accident scene.

Establish medical care right away. Maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, such as medical records, proof of lost wages, medical bills, prescription receipts, and repair estimates.

Here are some common damages suffered in such situations.

  • Medical expenses – past and future
  • Lost wages – past and future
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Mental trauma
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Long-term or permanent disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Personal injury claims against government agencies are challenging. They are not the same as a personal injury claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, so they can’t be sued.

The Tort Claims Act allows personal injury claims when you can prove gross negligence was the cause of damages on behalf of a government employee.

A notice of claim against the city must be brought in a timely manner, which could be as few as 45 days after the accident and depends on current Dallas law.

You must meet the strict notice requirements and provide supporting evidence to show what happened, when it happened, your damages, and the affiliated costs. It is a very detailed process.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If an accident involving the city has left you sidelined, you should consult with a personal injury attorney.

You want a lawyer who is licensed in your state, so he or she is familiar with both state and local laws. Because most accident injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, you have nothing to lose.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form today to get your claim on track!

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the DART, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.