What to Do If You’re in an Accident with DDOT*

If you suffered damages in an accident with the city, you might be able to pursue a personal injury claim against the city to recoup compensation to cover your damages.

What Kinds of Damages Might Be Suffered in a Accident?

An accident victim’s life could be forever changed. If you are involved in an accident, you should call the proper authorities and make sure an accident report is completed.

You will need an accident report to support your claim. You should seek medical care right away. Failing to establish medical care could negatively affect your ability to recoup damages.

Here are some of the more common damages that result from such an accident.

  • Medical expenses – past and future
  • Lost wages – past and future
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Mental trauma
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Long-term or permanent disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

If you were injured in accident that you believe was caused by the city's negligence, or the negligence of its employees, you will have to prove negligence.

Also, pursuing a claim against a government entity is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual.

Government entities are protected by immunity, but because of the Tort Claims Act, individuals can pursue damages under specific circumstances and when certain protocol is followed.

The city has a Claims Section that will investigate and work to resolve the claim. Filing a claim with the city is not a substitute for the pre-suit notice of claim that is required by the state laws.

Because these are two very different processes, you will need to enlist the help of an attorney to ensure all documentation is filled out properly, all supporting documentation is properly supplied, and that all deadlines are met.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have suffered injuries in an accident that you believe was the result of the city's negligence or the negligence or wrongdoing of one its employees, you should consult with a personal injury attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

An attorney understands the process of pursuing an accident injury claim against a government agency and can gather the documentation and evidence needed to support your claim, prove negligence, and show your damages. Because personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, you have nothing to lose.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form today to get your claim on track.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the DDOT, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.