What to Do If I Am Injured in an Accident With FWTA*

If you have been injured in an accident with the city, you might be able to recoup compensation for your damages by pursuing a personal injury claim. With the help of a personal injury lawyer, you may successfully obtain compensation for damages from the accident.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident

An accident with the city could lead to serious injuries that might have lasting effects. As an example, you could suffer whiplash, a concussion, broken bones, or neck and back injuries. These will have both economic and non-economic impacts on your life.

If you are involved in an accident with the city, be sure the proper entities are notified and that an accident report is completed. Always seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Failure to establish care could have an impact on your claim.

Maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, medical records, repair estimates, and proof of missed work and lost wages. Here are some common damages that you might claim:

  • Past and future lost wages
  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Long-term disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

While you can pursue a personal injury claim for damages suffered because of the negligence of the driver or an employee of the agency, pursuing a claim is more challenging. You will be seeking damages from a government entity rather than from an individual, so special protocol must be followed.

The Tort Claims Act requires the accident victim to give the government agency notice of his or her intent to sue. The notice must be received by the agency no less than six months after the accident, according to state law but cities might have other time limits.

Most cities have a 90-day deadline for sending the notice. The notice must include when the accident took place, where it occurred, the damages or injuries suffered, and the nature of the incident. In addition to the notice deadline, there is a two-year statute of limitations for pursuing a personal injury claim.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured in an accident, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Claims against government entities are challenging, so you want to make sure you have someone familiar with the laws on your side. Complete your free case evaluation today, so you can get your claim on the right track.

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Fort Worth Transportation Authority’s (FWTA) , or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources