What To Do in an Accident with Metrobus* in Hialeah, Florida

If you have been in an accident with the city bus and you believe an employee’s negligence was the cause, you might be able to recover damages through a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident?

You could be riding a bus that crashes, leaving you with serious injuries. You might suffer a slip and fall that causes back injuries while exiting a bus. When crossing the street, you could be hit by a a city bus. There are many ways that you could be involved in an accident with a city bus.

Regardless of the kind of accident, you should notify the proper authorities and make sure an accident report is completed. Establish medical care right away.

You should maintain documentation to support your claim. Keep prescription receipts, medical records, medical bills, and proof of missed work.

Here are a few of the damages that might result.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Personal injury claims against the city bus are not the same as personal injury claims against individuals.

Government entities have sovereign immunity, so they are protected from lawsuits. The Tort Claims Act does allow personal injury claims if the damages are caused by the gross negligence of a government employee.

If you can prove that the employee’s negligence caused your damages, you can pursue a claim. The Tort Claims Act limits the attorney’s fees to 25% of your judgement or settlement and limits the amount you can recover to $200,000 for an individual claim or $300,000 for all claims from a single accident.

You will need to send the county a notice of claim with supporting documentation. This is so they will investigate and decide if they are going to approve or deny the claim. They have six months to respond, if it is denied or there is no response, you can file a lawsuit.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been injured in an accident involving the city, you should consult with a personal injury attorney who practices in the area.

You want a lawyer licensed in your state, so he or she is familiar with all the state and local laws. Because accident injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, you have nothing to lose.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today!

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Metrobus, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.