What to Do If in an Accident With Metro Transit* St. Paul

Most public transit systems have an extensive fleet of vehicles. If you have been injured in an accident with one such vehicle, and you believe they are liable for the damages you have incurred, you might be able to recoup compensation through a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Be Suffered in an Accident?

If you have been involved in an accident involving the city, your life could be forever changed. You can be injured as a passenger in a bus crash or during a slip and fall while getting off or on the bus. You might be in another vehicle that is crashed into by a city bus or you might be a pedestrian hit by a bus.

Always report an accident to the proper authorities so an accident report can be completed. If possible, get photos of the accident scene.

Establish medical care right away, and maintain documentation to support your claims, such as medical records, medical bills, proof of lost wages, and repair estimates. Here are some common damages that might result.

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Property damages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

If employees acted negligently and that caused your damages, you can pursue a personal injury claim. A claim against a government entity, though, is not the same as a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, but thanks to the state’s Tort Claims Act, you can recover damages.

You must file a notice of claim with risk management to notify them of your intent to pursue a claim. The form must be completed in detail and you must include details, such as when and how the accident occurred, the damages you suffered, proof of your losses, and why you think they are liable.

An investigator will acknowledge your claim within 14 days and then your claim will be denied or approved. You can take legal action if you don’t agree with the decision.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you were involved in an accident, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer. Pursuing such claims are complicated, so you need to enlist an accident injury attorney who knows state and local laws.

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose. Get your Free Case Evaluation today!

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Metro Transit, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources