What to Do If You’re in an Accident with NORTA*

If you have been involved in an accident with the city and you believe the agency is responsible for your damages, you might be able to recoup compensation through a personal injury claim against the transit authority.

What Kinds of Damages Might Be Suffered in an Accident?

An accident involving a bus or streetcar operated by the city could result in life-altering injuries and major financial damages. You should notify the proper authorities of the accident, so an accident report can be completed.

If possible, get photos of the accident scene. Maintain documentation to support your claim and to show damages, such as medical bills, medical records, repair estimates and proof of missed work and lost wages.

You could suffer a variety of damages in such an accident, and the severity of those damages could vary greatly.

Here are some of the more common damages claimed in a personal injury claim:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Loss of consortium
  • Disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

If you believe the city is liable for your damages, you can pursue a personal injury claim. Pursuing a claim against the city is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual.

Government agencies are protected by sovereign immunity, but special legislation allows claims under certain circumstances. The respective agency must be notified of your intent by your filing of a notice of intent.

You will get the claim from the City Attorney’s Office and submit it with supporting documentation, including the nature of the injury, how it happened, when it happened, and why you think the city is liable.

It should be submitted to the city’s Risk Management Unit. They will investigate your claim. If you aren’t satisfied with the results, you can then file a lawsuit.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

Personal injury claims against government agencies are challenging. You should consult with a personal injury attorney who is licensed in that state if you have suffered injuries in such an accident.

Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so they aren’t paid until you are compensated by a settlement or judgment.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to have your claim reviewed by an accident injury attorney in your area. Make sure your claim is on the right track and that all deadlines are met!

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the NORTA, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.