What to Do If in an Accident With the Port Authority* in Pittsburgh

If you were injured in an accident with a city vehicle, you might be able to pursue a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident?

You could be injured as a passenger on a train or bus operated by the city. A city bus could rear-end your car and cause serious injuries. You might be crossing the street and be hit by a bus. There are countless ways you could be injured.

Always report the accident to the proper authorities and make sure an accident report is filed. Maintain documentation to support your claim, such as medical records, medical bills, proof of lost wages, and property damage estimates. Here are some common damages claimed in such accidents.

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Property damages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

You can pursue a personal injury claim against the city, but it is much different than pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, but the Tort Claims Act allows claims under specific circumstances when certain protocol is used.

The city must receive written notice of the claim within six months of the date of the accident. The notice must include the claimant’s name and address, the date, time, and location of the accident, and the contact information for any treating physicians. The liability is limited to $250,000 for a claimant in a single accident. If your claim is denied or you don’t get a response, you can file a lawsuit.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have suffered injuries that you believe were caused by city, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Because such claims are complicated, you need the experience of someone who knows state and local law working on your side.

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose. Complete your Free Case Evaluation Form today!

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Port Authority, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources