You are here

What to Do If in an Accident With San Joaquin RTD*

The San Joaquin Regional Transit District, which is called RTD or San Joaquin RTD, is the transit district providing bus services to Stockton, California, and its surrounding communities. These include Tracy, French Camp, Ripon, Lodi, Thornton, and Manteca.

The RTD has 35 fixed routes in the Stockton metro area, which includes bus rapid transit service and four Metro Express routes. The legislative process got underway in 1963 to form RTD, then the Stockton Metropolitan Transit District (SMTD) started providing transit services for Stockton residents in 1965.

The organization became San Joaquin RTD in 2004, and the RTD has grown to provide 4,047,559 trips per year as of 2016. If you have suffered damages and injuries in an accident with RTD and you believe they are liable, you might be able to recoup compensation through a personal injury claim.

What Damages Might Result From an Accident With San Joaquin RTD?

There are several ways you could suffer injuries in an accident with San Joaquin RTD. You might slip and fall as a passenger. You might suffer injuries as a passenger when there is a bus accident. You could suffer other injuries, such as those suffered by a pedestrian hit by a bus or as a passenger in a car struck by an RTD bus.

Always report an accident to the proper authorities and make sure an accident report is completed. Establish medical care right away, so you can get on the road to recovery. Keep documentation to show which damages you suffered and what happened.

Keep medical bills, medical records, proof of missed work and lost wages, and get written repair estimates. Here are some common damages that might result from such an accident.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium

What to Do If in an Accident With San Joaquin RTD*

Pursuing a Claim Against The San Joaquin RTD

Government entities have sovereign immunity, but because of state laws, personal injury claims are permitted under specific reasons when government employees acted negligently and cause harm. The California Tort Claims Act (CTCA) requires the individual who has been injured to file a claim with the specific agency or entity that employs the individual who acted negligently and caused the injuries.

Claims cannot be filed against the employee directly. You must provide a written notice of claim within six months of the accident with the San Joaquin RTD, which includes the claimant’s name and contact information, the date, location and description of the accident, details of the injuries, and the name of the government employee who caused the injury. If the claim is rejected, then a personal injury lawsuit can be filed.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have suffered injuries in an accident involving the San Joaquin RTD, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Such claims are challenging, and you need an experienced Stockton accident injury lawyer representing you.

Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose. Get your Free Case Evaluation today!

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against San Joaquin Regional Transit District (RTD), or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources

Call Now For a Free Case Evaluation: 844-650-3888