What to Do If in an Accident With RTC* in Reno, NV

City busses and trains provide public transportation services, street and highway construction, and handles transportation planning. If you have suffered injuries in an accident caused by a city driver or one of its employees, you might be able to recoup compensation through a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident?

You might be injured as a passenger on a city bus, or you could be driving your own vehicle when you are hit by a city vehicle that runs a red light. You might be a pedestrian that is struck by a bus.

Either way, you might suffer life-altering injuries. Your family could suffer financially because of the accident. Always report such accidents to the authorities and make sure an accident report is filed.

You should get checked by a medical professional right away because establishing medical care is essential to a successful claim. Maintain documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, medical records, proof of lost wages, and repair estimates. Here are some common damages claimed in a personal injury claim.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the city isn’t the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, but the Tort Claims Act allows personal injury claim in specific circumstances.

You will need to file a claim of notice with them to let them know you plan to take legal action and you believe they are responsible for your damages. You will need to provide specific details, such as when and where the accident happened, how it happened, and the injuries suffered. The law gives you two years from the date of the accident to file your claim. If your claim is denied, you can then file a lawsuit.

Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have suffered injuries in an accident, you should consult with a licensed personal injury attorney. Claims against government entities are challenging. An accident injury lawyer will handle your claim on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose.

Your attorney will not be compensated until you get a settlement or judgment. To get your claim on track, complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page. An attorney in the area will review the details of your claim and determine the best way to proceed, ensuring your rights are protected and that you are treated fairly.

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County (RTC), or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Additional Resources