You are here

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with RTC*

The bus system in the Las Vegas metropolitan area in Clark County, Nevada, is known as RTC. RTC is a subsidiary of the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada.

Most service offered is in the Las Vegas Valley with regularly scheduled route services throughout Clark County. RTC offers 51 routes and more than 3,900 stops with four stations. It offers bus rapid transit, bus, and para-transit.

Founded as Citizens Area Transit on December 5, 1992, the fleet includes 408 fixed route vehicles and 300 paratransit vehicles. Daily ridership on a weekday is 178,390 people.

If you were injured in an accident involving RTC, you might be able to recoup compensation for your losses by pursuing a personal injury claim against the agency.

What Kinds of Damages Might Be Suffered in an Accident with RTC?

An accident with RTC might lead to various damages. You could suffer from life-altering injuries that affect you both economically and non-economically the rest of your life.

You should be sure to report the accident to the proper authorities. An accident report must be filed.

Seek medical attention right away. Regardless of the severity of your injuries, the failure to establish medical treatment can have a negative impact on your personal injury claim.

You should maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, such as copies of medical bills, medical records, proof of lost wages, and written repair estimates.

Here are some of the more common damages caused by such an accident.

  • Future and past lost wages
  • Future and past medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Property damages
  • Loss of consortium
  • Mental anguish
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Permanent disabilities

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with RTC

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against RTC

Pursuing a personal injury claim against RTC is not the same as pursuing a personal injury claim against an individual. Government entities are protected from lawsuits, but certain exceptions apply.

To pursue a claim, you must follow specific protocol. There is a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Nevada, and for a bus operated by Clark County there is a cap of $100,000 on damages per bus accident.

But since Clark County is a government entity, you must fill out a notice of claim. The county has 90 days to respond to that claim from the date you file it.

If they deny your claim or if they fail to respond, you can file a lawsuit.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If an accident with RTC has left you with damages, consult with an accident injury lawyer who is licensed in Nevada.

Personal injury claims against government entities are challenging, so you need an experienced attorney who knows the laws.

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose. Your lawyer will not be paid until you are compensated.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form to get your personal injury claim against RTC on the right track today.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the RTC or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Call Now For a Free Case Evaluation: 844-650-3888