What to Do if in an Accident with Valley Metro* in Gilbert, AZ

If an accident involving a city vehicle has left you with injuries, you might be able to recoup compensation for your damages through a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident

You could suffer injuries that will affect you the rest of your life and financially affect your entire family if involved in a bus accident. You might be a passenger on a train or bus that crashes, or you could be a pedestrian or occupant of another vehicle that is struck by a city bus.

Either way, you should notify the proper authorities right away and make sure an accident report is filed. If possible, take photos of the accident scene. Establish medical care right away because that is essential to a successful personal injury claim.

You should maintain all supporting documentation, such as medical bills, medical records, proof of lost wages, and repair estimates.

Here are some common damages claimed in such an accident.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the city is possible, but it is different than filing a claim against an individual. Government entities are protected by sovereign immunity, but the Tort Claims Act allows injury claims to be pursued in specific situations and when certain protocol is followed.

You must file a notice of claim within 180 days of the accident. You must complete the form in detail, include supporting evidence, state the facts, explain what happened, where it happened, when it happened, the damages suffered, and why you think they are liable.

You must indicate how much you want to be compensated for your losses and provide proof of related costs, such as medical bills, proof of lost wages, and so forth. If your claim isn’t settled or denied all together, you have a year to pursue a lawsuit.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been injured in an accident involving the city, consult with a personal injury attorney who is licensed in that area and familiar with state and local laws.

Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose. Your lawyer will not be paid until you are compensated for your losses.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to have your case reviewed by an accident injury attorney.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Valley Metro, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.