What to Do if You’re in an Accident with Wichita Transit*

If you have been involved in an accident with public transit and believe that negligence on behalf of a transit company employee caused your injuries, you might be able to recover compensation by pursuing a personal injury claim.

What Kinds of Damages Might be Suffered in an Accident with Public Transit?

If you were in an accident involving a city bus, you could have suffered life-altering injuries. As with any accident, notify the proper authorities. Make sure an accident report is completed. Take photos of the accident scene, if possible, and be sure to get the names of and contact details for any witnesses. You will need to maintain thorough documentation to support your claim as well. Keep copies of medical bills, medical reports, and damage repair estimates. Document missed work and lost wages. Here are some common damages that might be claimed in such accidents:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Property damages
  • Loss of consortium
  • Disabilities
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim against Public Transit

Pursuing a personal injury claim against a government entity is different than pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, but state legislation allows claims to be brought for specific reasons and when negligence can be proven. Certain state law doesn’t allow general compensatory damages to exceed $325,000. A wrongful death claim cannot exceed $250,000. You will need to file a Claims for Damages form that has been completed in detail and provide all the supporting documentation for your claim. The claim will be investigated and within six to eight weeks you will receive notice of denial, an offer to settle, or another resolution. If you aren’t happy with the decision, you can then file a lawsuit.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been injured in an accident with public transit, you should consult with a personal injury attorney who is licensed in the relevant state. Because of the complexity of such claims, you need a lawyer who is familiar with the state and local laws and who can help you gather up evidence and documentation in support of your claim. Your chances of a successful claim increase significantly with an attorney representing you. And, you have nothing to lose since accident injury attorneys work on a contingency basis. Get your free case evaluation today!

Additional Resources


The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Wichita Transit, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.