What to Do If in an Accident with WSTA* In Winston-Salem

If you have been injured in an accident involving a city vehicle, you might be able to pursue a personal injury claim to recover compensation to cover your damages.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident

You could be a passenger on a city bus that is involved in an accident. You might suffer injuries in a slip and fall at the transportation center or when getting off a bus. You might be a pedestrian hit by a bus when crossing the street or an occupant of a car struck by a city bus.

Either way, you could suffer serious injuries. Notify the proper authorities and make sure an accident report is filed. Take photos of the accident scene if possible and seek medical care right away. Maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, such as proof of missed work and lost wages, medical records, and medical bills.

Here are some common damages suffered in such an accident.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the city is possible, but it is nothing like pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, but the Tort Claims Act allow claims for damages in specific situations.

You will need to file a claim with the city’s Risk Management Division. You will call the office and provide them with the date, time and place of the accident, brief description of what happened, and if available, the names and numbers of any witnesses.

The claims adjuster will review the claim and supporting evidence. After the claim has been reviewed, you will be notified by phone or by mail. The city will only approve claims in which they believe the city has acted negligently.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been injured in an accident involving the city that you believe was caused by negligence, you might be able to recoup compensation for your losses, but you should consult with a personal injury attorney.

You want a lawyer who handles accident injury claims in the area, so they are familiar with state and local laws. Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis meaning that they will not be paid until you are compensated.

Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to have a personal injury lawyer review your claim details.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the WSTA, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.