What to Do If You’re in an Accident with GRTC* in Richmond, VA

If you have been injured in an accident involving with the city, you might be able to pursue a personal injury claim to recover damages.

What Kinds Of Damages Might Result From An Accident

You might be a passenger on a bus that crashed and left you injured. You could slip and fall while getting off or on a bus and hurt your back. You might be injured as a pedestrian crossing the street when you were struck by a bus.

You could be in another vehicle that was hit by a city vehicle. Either way, the accident should be reported, and an accident report completed.

Establish medical care right away. Be sure to maintain documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, medical records, proof of lost wages, and so forth.

Here are some common damages suffered in such accidents.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

Pursuing A Personal Injury Claim

Pursuing a personal injury claim against the city is not the same as pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity to protect them from lawsuits.

But, the Tort Claims Act allows personal injury claims to be pursued if you can prove the accident was caused by the negligence of a government employee. You will need to send a notice of claim to the city attorney within six months of the incident that led to your damages.

You will need to include the date and time of the accident, the specific location of the accident, the individual involved, what happened, the nature of damages being claimed, and estimated costs associated with losses.

The city claims administrator will investigate and evaluate the claim. If your claim is denied, you can file a lawsuit.

Consult With A Personal Injury Attorney

If you have suffered injuries in an accident involving the city, you should consult with a personal injury attorney who is licensed in your state and who is familiar with the local laws as well as the state laws. Claims against government entities are complicated, so you need legal guidance.

Because personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, you have nothing at all to lose.

To ensure your claim is on the right track, complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page to have a personal injury attorney review your claim.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the GRTC, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.