What to Do in an Accident with Hampton Roads Transit* Norfolk, VA

If you have suffered injuries in an accident involving the city, you might be able to pursue a personal injury claim to recover compensation for your damages.

What Kinds of Damages Might Result From an Accident

There are many ways you could be injured in an accident involving the city. You might be a pedestrian hit by a bus when crossing the street, or you could be stopped in your car at a traffic light when a bus runs through and hits you.

You could be a passenger on a bus that crashes and leaves you with neck and back injuries. You might be a passenger who suffers a slip and fall on a train.

Regardless of how your accident happens, report it to proper authorities so an accident report can be completed. If possible, get photos of the accident scene.

Be sure to establish medical care and maintain thorough documentation to support your claim, such as medical bills, proof of lost wages, and repair estimates.

Here are a few of the more common damages that you might suffer in such an accident.

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damages
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement
  • Disabilities

Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim Against Public Transit

Pursuing a personal injury claim against a government entity is challenging and is nothing like pursuing a claim against an individual. Government entities have sovereign immunity, protecting them from lawsuits.

The Tort Claims Act allows lawsuits in specific situations where you can prove that the employee was grossly negligent. The Act is very detailed, citing precise protocol that must be followed and specific reasons you can pursue a personal injury claim.

You will have to serve a notice of claim within a specified timeframe, indicating that you will be holding them liable for your damages along with the specific details of what happened and supporting documentation.

Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney

If an accident involving public transit has left you with injuries, you should consult with an accident injury attorney who is licensed in in the state of the accident.

Such claims are complicated, and you need the guidance of someone who is familiar with state and local laws.

You have nothing at all to lose with no out-of-pocket costs. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form today.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the Hampton Roads Transit, or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.