Kroger, like any grocery store, owes its customers a responsibility to keep its premises safe from any obstacles. The grounds should be kept safe, properly maintained and clean so you can shop safely and not be injured. If you suffered a slip and fall at a grocery store because of the employees’ negligence, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer about pursuing a personal injury claim against the retailer.
What To Do After a Slip and Fall at a Grocery Store
If you were shopping at Kroger, or any grocery store, and you suffered a slip and fall because of missing floor tiles, you should notify management immediately so an accident report can be filed. Be sure to explain what happened. The incident may have been caught on surveillance video. Try to determine if there were witnesses. If there are witnesses, ask them to write detailed accounts of what they saw and provide their names and contact details.
If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall, you will need to establish medical care right away. Failure to establish medical care can be devastating to your personal injury claim. You will need to maintain documentation that supports your claim and that shows which damages you suffered.
How Negligence Caused a Slip and Fall
A personal injury claim is based on negligence. You must show how all four elements of negligence came into play. Here is how that could work with a slip and fall at Kroger or any grocery store:
- Duty – The first element of negligence is duty. You must show that the store owed you a duty or a responsibility. In this case, they owe you a duty to keep the premises safe from risks and obstructions.
- Breach of duty – You must prove that the store breached its duty or responsibility by failing to keep the premises safe and clean. They should have indicated there was a problem with the floor by posting a warning or caution sign or caution tape, or they should have already had the problem fixed.
- Causation – You will need to show that the breach of duty caused your fall. You did fall over the area where that tile was missing. If the tile wasn’t missing, you would not have been injured.
- Damages – Provide documentation that proves you suffered damages in the slip and fall. This can include medical bills, medical receipts, and proof of lost wages.
Consult With a Personal Injury Attorney
If you were hurt when you slipped and fell at Kroger, or any grocery store, because they failed to maintain the floor, you can pursue a personal injury claim. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you have nothing at all to lose. Complete the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page today to have the details of your case reviewed by an accident injury lawyer in your area.
- Five Things to Do If Your Car Was Hit by a FedEx Truck
- Five Things to do if Your Car was Damaged by a Tow Truck
The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Kroger or any other party, you may not be entitled to any compensation.